Stacey Lau | Corporate financing and restructuring
Stacey has managed some of the largest construction restructurings in Hong Kong. Stacey’s distressed real estate expertise and experience includes construction enforcement and collection actions. She has supported clients in their investments in real estate assets and real estate development projects.
Stacey began her career at Levett and Bailey (recently Rider Levett Bucknall). She has worked as a senior restructuring advisor for Ernst & Young and Alvarez & Marsal. Stacey’s clients include lenders and investors with real estate assets across Asia, government agencies, insurers, property developers, construction consultants and builders. She has been involved in arbitration and litigation proceedings in construction disputes and large-scale real estate transactions.
She is a CFA® and Chartered Surveyor charter holder.
Professional Affiliations and Academic Qualifications
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Chartered Quantity Surveyor (MRICS)
- Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (MHKIS)
- Master in Arbitration and Conflict Resolution
- Bachelor (Honours) in Surveying
- Real estate investment in difficulty
- Real estate development projects in difficulty
- Notice of Dispute
- Construction disputes
- Construction insolvencies
- Recovery litigation
- Built and managed a portfolio of investment properties and development projects in Asia and Europe, some of which were co-investments with joint venture developers. Oversaw the entire investment cycle, from deal selection to asset management and divestment.
- Assessed the quantum aspects of litigation or arbitration proceedings and informal dispute resolution processes of some of Hong Kong’s most iconic infrastructure, civil engineering and construction projects developed by government agencies, statutory bodies and real estate agents.
- Led a team in the successful legal restructuring of a Chinese mobile phone manufacturer, whose parent company was listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, under China’s corporate bankruptcy law.
- Team leader of an expert testimony assignment in connection with criminal proceedings in the United States against former national bank directors over alleged embezzlement of more than $400 million in bank assets perpetrated by through more than 100 window companies in Hong Kong, China, BVI Islands, Cayman Islands and other countries.
- Expert witness assignment in a US legal proceeding against a private bank brought by the US Internal Revenue Service with potential penalties of over $300 million for alleged tax evasion charges relating to non-performing loans acquired from of one of the Chinese asset management companies.